Monday, September 24, 2012

H-A-Double-L-O-W-Double-E-N

To say we're Meg is excited for Halloween would currently be an understatement.  This is the first time since I was in 4th grade that Halloween has the potential to bring in a massive amount of trick-or-treater and for there to be a reason to decorate the house.  I grew up in Salem, MA.  Witch City, USA.  Halloween celebrations begin October 1st and trick-or-treating is the event of the year.  Now that we're in our new home - in the cutest neighborhood ever - we're hoping for lots and lots of kids and family fun.  Without kids of our own we will focus on great decorations and fun treats.  We want to be a house that is remembered.

Sticking to our free and cheap project goals though, we're picked out several budget friendly decor ideas.

  • Googly eyes - seen on bhg.com
  • Window Shadows, also seen on bhg.com - we're aiming for a "Ghoul and Goblin Party" appearance (I refuse to scare little kids)
  • Magnetic Spiders on the doors
  • Black Pumpkins - via chalk board paint
  • The good old - broom and with hat sitting on the coat hook at the front door (enhanced with a pirate hat and sword also hung up)
  • Possibly some yard graves and a wheel barrel full of dirt and bones
Hopefully we'll find time for all of this to happen and not get our hopes up for just a few kids.
What are your plans for Halloween this year? Will you go all out? Are you dressing up?!


I can't say the chalk board pumpkin is an original for sure, but I don't think I've seen it before.  I just painted it when I was paining everything with chalkboard paint, why not paint a pumpkin.  Plus - black pumpkins without chalk look very creepy to me.  This guy above was decor at my craft fair over the weekend.  I should have just brought hundreds of these and sold them for $10 - everyone liked him... more than my jewelry...


A tutorial really isn't needed.  Pick pumpkin, paint two coats for chalk board paint, let cure, draw faces.  (Just don't use a sugar pumpkin.  This little guy rotted out in about a week - the regular ones last for months)

And Matt though I was crazy for telling him not to throw away any of the sticks from the yard.  Well, I made this awesome witch broom for FREE! This also doesn't need too much of a tutorial - bundle sticks together to look like a broom - secure with floral wire - glue gun hemp around like so.

We've also started the hunt for our costumes - Matt is growing out his beard to be Abraham Lincoln the vampire slayer, and I already got my bow and quiver for my Katniss costume.

3 comments:

  1. Um, YES I'm dressing up! I actually bought a bunch of stuff for our Halloween party today... more than a month ahead of time. Haha. Our decorations are going up October 1st! (We have our housewarming party this weekend and want to get through that first.)

    Love the chalkboard pumpkin. I'm totally stealing that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful house warming!!!!
      Can't wait to see some of your Halloween decor!

      Delete
  2. Love it!!!!! I definitely want to do this!!!

    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete